Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Dorothy McGuinness


Dorothy McGuinness



  Most of the time, local artists are not able to work on their art as a full time job, instead they make time in the evenings and on the weekends. Dorothy McGuinness is one of those artists, working full time and pursuing her passion in her spare time. Dorothy is a local Contemporary Basketmaker who took her first basket making class in 1987 from the University of Washington Experimental College. During this time, she learned twining, coiling, and diagonal plaiting with natural materials.
           
            In a recent interview with Dorothy, I learned about what goes into one piece of her art, how many hours, where she finds these hours, and the meaning that goes into them. “A small piece may take 10 or 15 hours, the larger ones 100+, but most are probably between 25-40 hours to finish.” So when does she find these 100+ hours?! “Since I normally work a full time job,  I work on my art in the evenings and weekends. Some weeks it may be only a few hours and other I may work 30-40+ hours.” There are a lot of hours unslept, so Dorothy can do what she loves most.
           
            Dorothy commented on the influences behind her basket weaving, “for me I think basketry works well with my left brain, I have always been interested in math and science and this interest is translated into my work since I utilize a lot of math and geometry in constructing my pieces.”

            It’s obvious that Dorothy is very talented and makes beautiful pieces of art. So for all of you out there who are aspiring artists, Dorothy has a bit of advice for you. “If you want to be an artist, you just have to keep making art and exploring your craft and your medium. Some of your work may not be that great, but every once in awhile you make something great and the more you work, the better you will get.”



            Dorothy’s art will be displayed at the Phinney Neighborhood Association, the art gallery is located on the top floor. Her art will be displayed from June 16, 2013 to August 2, 2013.

“I’ve made so many lifelong friends through basketry; I’m not sure where I would be without the basketry community.”
 
Written by Jennifer Roberts
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment