Friday, May 16, 2008

2008 Greenwood/Phinney ArtWalk

I was fortunate enough to be juried into the 2008 Greenwood/Phinney ArtWalk.

I am a professional artist and I exhibit locally and nationally. I'm not saying this to brag, but to put into context what I'm going to say next. I've been working as an artist for over 20 years, and in the ten years I've lived in Greenwood, I usually send in my application to the neighborhood's art walk. I do this for three reasons. First, it's an event in the neighborhood I've chosen to live in. Second, the jurors are frequently arts professionals whom I want to see my work. Third, it's an exercise in the subjective nature of juried art competitions.

What I mean by the third reason is that my being a professional and established artist in no way guarantees I'll be juried into any art event. It is a competition and a humble reminder that jurors have tastes of their own, and their taste rarely cares about what might matter to the artist under consideration.

There have been plenty of years that I didn't get juried into the Greenwood/Phinney ArtWalk. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

Having said that, I was grateful to be in this year, and it was fun. I was placed at Johnson & Johnson Antiques. Owner Marjie Johnson has participated in the art walk for as many years as it's existed, and each year she provides live music and things to nibble and sip. Friday night was packed with people strolling from store to store, and Saturday was a little more leisurely. Two very different experiences between Friday night and Saturday day.

Thanks to the Greenwood Arts Council and its supporters for a great community event.

No comments:

Post a Comment